Advent calendar - answers 1/2

Helsinki, 1 degree


Advent: the time to listen for footsteps – you can’t hear footsteps when you’re running yourself.

About a week ago I asked for your help in the form of questions as I wanted to realize my blog Advent calendar through a Q & A. I was happily surprised by the number of questions I received and here come the answers! Enjoy!

Noin viikko sitten pyysin teiltä lukijoiltani apua koska halusin, että joulukalenterini tänä vuonna olisi Q & A -tyyppinen, jossa saisin vastata lukijoiden toiveisiin. Olin iloisesti yllättynyt kysymysten määrästä. Tässä tulevat niiden vastaukset. Toivottavasti opitte minusta lisää!

Where can I read your master thesis? My English master thesis in tourism can be read on Theseus. Just click on "Avaa tiedosto" and you'll see it in PDF format.
// 
Missä voin lukea maisterilopputyösi? Maisterilopputyöni on luettavissa Theseuksessa. Se on englanninkielinen koska suoritin Haaga-Helian englanninkielisen matkailumaisteriohjelman.

How do you celebrate the holidays? What are your favorite traditions?
I described most of my holiday traditions last year in my blog post that you can read here. My favorites are the Christmas markets, carols, St. Lucia festivities (that are today (!), see the video underneath - even though most of it is in my mother tongue Swedish, there is however beautiful song from 7.19 onwards and St. Lucia turns up at 16.23 - you don't need to understand the language in order to sense the unique atmosphere), holiday lights, gingerbread cookies, and mulled wine or glögi as we like to call it. 
// 
Miten vietät joulua? Mitkä ovat suosikkiperinteesi?
Kerroin paljon jouluperinteistäni viime vuonna tässä blogikirjoituksessa. Suosikkiperinteisiini kuuluvat joulumarkkinat, -laulut, Lucia-juhla (joka on tänään, tässä alla upea video aamun lauluhetkestä Forumin kauppakeskuksen yhteydessä, Lucia ilmestyy paikalla kohdassa 16.23), jouluvalot, piparkakut ja glögi.

What is the best Christmas gift you have ever received?
I have received many wonderful Christmas gifts during my years, but one that was the most surprising was the one of my boyfriend's a couple of years ago when he had bought me two dresses that I had been drooling over. He had in secret opened my computer and checked the website on which I had been looking at the dresses. It was an amazing surprise!
//
Mikä on ollut suosikkijoululahjasi?
Olen saanut todella monta upeeta lahjaa vuosien varrella, mutta yksi joka on jäänyt mieleen on joululahja poikaystävältä kun hän osti minulle kaksi mieletöntä mekkoa. Olin itse katsellut näitä mekkoja netissä, ja poikaystäväni oli onnistunut minulta salaa käydä niitä samasta nettikaupasta ostamassa. Mikä huikea yllätys!

What do you do during the dark time of the year in Helsinki?
The darkest months in Helsinki are November and December. However, for me, it always feels like November because December is filled with Christmas markets and lights, and St. Lucia, so it doesn't feel dark at all for me. During November, I usually focus on our home and decorate it with candles and string lights. I try to get more sleep than usual, but I also make sure to exercise. If possible, I take one workday off from work (using my overtime hours) so I can enjoy the light time. During that day, I usually visit a new place in the city. In short, I allow myself to relax more and try to get the most out of the daylight. 
//
Mitä teet vuoden pimeimpään aikaan Helsingissä?
Yleensä sanotaan että Helsingissä marras-joulukuu on vuoden pimeimmät kuukaudet. Omasta mielestäni se tuntuu olevan marraskuu, koska joulukuu on täynnä jouluvaloja ja Lucia-neidon tuomaa valoa. Marraskuussa keskityn paljon kotiimme ja sisustan sen kynttilöillä ja valosarjoilla, jotta saamme valoa kodin sisälle. Nukun marraskuussa enemmän kuin muina kuukausina, ja yritän liikkua mahdollisimman paljon. Tänä vuonna käytin saldotunteja ja pidin ylimääräisiä saldopäiviä kerran viikossa, jolloin liikuin paljon päivän valoiseen aikaan. Näinä päivinä kävin Helsingin uusimmissa paikoissa, ja tein mieluisia asioita. Lyhyesti voi sanoa, että otin rennommin ja yritin nauttia mahdollisimman paljon valosta ja valoisesta ajasta.


What's your opinion?

  1. Great post, thank you so much for sharing. Greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been too familiar with St. Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Q&A posts and it was interesting to read about your dark time activities. when I get back from work around 17:30 I'm usually so tired and the darkness isn't helping at all :P by the way, what a great gift from your BF indeed! I remember when you talked about those dresses in another post.

    Maiken,
    Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maiken, I'm glad that you liked the post :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  4. hi dear so so great post :-) Now we know more about you :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

@elisabeth.rundlof