Restaurant Day May 2015

Helsinki, 14 degrees




A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.

Last Saturday I had some delicious plans: to spend the day at my sister's pop-up restaurant named For Friends of Nepal! The restaurant participated in the Helsinki-born, nowadays global, food carnival called Restaurant Day. You probably remember my earlier blog posts about this happy and tasty event, otherwise you can find my posts here, here, here and here. This, however, was the first time that my sister was opening the restaurant. She was lucky enough to be able to open up the one-day-long restaurant in a local theater named Viirus' ticket sales office so it was set inside, even though many of the carnival's restaurants are set outdoors this time of year. The money she raised during the day will be sent to one of the Nepalese families in whose guest house she stayed in during her 7-month-long travel that I've mentioned on the blog. Unfortunately, this guest house does not any longer exist due to the earthquake that took place recently in Nepal. I loved the warm atmosphere there was at the restaurant and people's will to help.

Viime lauantaina minulla oli mehukkaita suunnitelmia: viettää päivä siskoni Ravintolapäivään osallistuvassa pop up -ravintolassa! Ravinolan nimi oli For Friends of Nepal, ja nimi kertookin minkälaista syötävää ruokapaikka tarjosi. Olen aikaisemmin kirjoittanut useita blogikirjoituksia Ravintolapäivästä. Jos et ole lukenut niitä, niin löydät ne täältä, täältä, täältä ja täältä. Tämä oli kuitenkin ensimmäinen kerta kun siskoni avasi ravintolan. Onnekkaana hän pääsi avaamaan ravintolan teatteri Viiruksen lipunmyyntitilaan, joten ravintola toimi sisätilaoissa. Päivän myynti meni suoraan nepalilaiselle perheelle, jonka vieraskodissa hän asui hiljattain loppuneen seitsemän kuukauden matkansa aikana. Valitettavasti äskettäisen maanjäristyksen takia kyseistä vieraskotia ei enää ole joten rahat tulivat tarpeeseen. Itse pidin kovasti ravintolan lämpimästä ja auttavaisesta tunnelmasta.


Have you participated in the Restaurant Day? What kind of treats would you offer if you would open up a restaurant for one day?

Oletko itse osallistunut Ravintolapäivään asiakkaana tai ravintolanpitäjänä? Mitä itse tarjoaisit jos avaisit päiväksi ravintolan?


What's your opinion?

  1. That's an amazing gesture and an amazing initiative! I never heard of restaurant for a day and I think this is brilliant! Also, sending the money to the Nepalese family, this is really so nice, they so much need help and good vibes. As you asked, if I were to open such a restaurant I would serve vegetarian food, cause I don't cook meat :) I hope you enjoy a very nice weekend, I can see the weather is good!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Next time, in August, you can try Restaurant Day since it's a global movement :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. I don't know what I'd pick, I don't like cooking lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww i like this post, you are so rite
    new post: http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/2015/05/sandgren-clogs.html
    blog: http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so sweet of your sister! I'm sure people loved her food and enjoyed the restaurant. by the way, what did she serve for the customers? :) I myself haven't participated because I live in such a small town and events like that don't make it here. they probably happen in our capital town but we visit it like once or twice a year so yeah, you get what I'm saying here :) but I have to put together the menu for my birthday soon so maybe I will share it in my blog as well then!

    Maiken - Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She served tons of different foods:pies, breads, waffles, toast breads, cookies, coffee, tea, salads etc.

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof