Nordic Christmas decor: introducing the branch

Helsinki, -3 degrees


I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.

Despite the fact that my childhood Christmases were always dressed in red, as the color was the favorite of my beloved mother, I, myself, have always preferred a minimalist silver-colored-Christmas. You might remember my earlier blog posts about making our home ready for Christmas & how to make DIY Christmas ornaments, if not, you'll find some of them here, here and here. This year, due to my recent loss in the family, I haven't made any big efforts concerning our home's Christmas decor, but still, some novelties have found their way home to us.

Vaikka lapsuusjouluni olivat perinteisesti punavärisiä, koska punainen oli rakkaan äitini suosikkiväri, olen itse aina suosinut minimalistisia & hopeisia joulukoristeita. Muistat ehkä aikaisemmat blogikirjoitukseni joulusta ja jouluvietosta, jos et, niin löydät jouluaiheisia blogikirjoituksiani mm. täältä, täältä ja täältä. Hiljattaisen perhemenetykseni takia en ole tänä vuonna panostanut juurikaan joulukoristeluun, mutta jotain uutta on silti löytänyt tiensä kotiimme.

This year we finally have our first Christmas branch (instead of a traditional Christmas tree)! The branch has kind of functioned as a mobile for adults, at least it seems to fascinate me as much as hanging mobiles intrigue my baby girl. In my neighborhood, I've recently stumbled upon several Christmas branches, both on balconies/terraces and indoors so I think it's safe to say that their popularity is rapidly growing. No wonder, if you ask me, as they are so naturally beautiful and also represent nature at home, as does the Christmas tree. By hanging a Christmas branch in one's home with a fishing line, one respects nature as the branch has already fallen off a tree, and there is no need to cut a tree merely for the sake of Christmas. However, it obviously doesn't have the same scent as a Christmas tree, so I'm sure it divides people.

Tänä vuonna meillä on vihdoin ensimmäinen roikkuva jouluoksa perinteisen joulukuusen sijaan. Olenkin leikkimielisesti sanonut, että oksa toimii aikuisten mobilena, koska se kiehtoo minua aivan yhtä paljon kuin roikkuvat mobilet kiehtovat tyttövauvaani. Vauvalenkeillä olen huomannut, että lähiympäristömme kodeista löytyy jo monta jouluoksaa. Joillakin se on parvekkeella/terassilla, sisällä joulupöydän yläpuolella tai sitten olohuoneessa kuten meillä. Voi siis sanoa, että jouluoksien suosio on selkeästi kasvussa! En yhtään ihmettele, koska ovat luonnollisella tavalla kauniita ja tuovat pienen palan luontoa kotiin, aivan kuten joulukuusi. Roikkuvan jouluoksan avulla luontoa kunnioittaa mielestäni jopa enemmän koska käytetty oksa on jo pudonnut puusta, eikä puuta tarvitse vahingoittaa tätä sisustusideaa varten. Meillä jouluoksa roikkuu siiman avulla kattokoukusta. On kuitenkin sanomattakin selvää, ettei jouluoksa tuoksu samalla tavalla kuin joulukuusi, joten ymmärrän että myös jouluoksa jakaa mielipiteitä.

The Christmas ornaments that I've placed on the branch are some that I've made myself, some that I've inherited from my mother and some that are this Christmas season's novelties in our home. The novelties are from H&M. Besides the ornaments, I've also picked up some scented candles, a candle holder and linen table napkins that go together with our silver sequin table runner. Now all I need in order to make the Christmas table is a Christmas flower arrangement and the actual food!

Olen asetellut jouluoksalle monenlaisia joulukuusenkoristeita. Jotkut olen tehnyt itse, jotkut olen perinyt äidiltäni ja jotkut ovat tämän joulun uutuuksia meillä kotona. Uutuudet löysin H&M:ltä. Koristeiden lisäksi, olen myös sisustanut joulukodimme tuoksukynttilöillä, uudella kynttiläjalalla ja pellavalautasliinoilla. Mielestäni servetit sopivat hyvin yhteen paljettikaitaliinamme kanssa. Nyt tarvitsen joulukattausta varten enää jouluisen kukka-asetelman sekä tietysti itse ruoan!


Do you prefer a traditional Christmas tree, or do you prefer alternative ways of decorating your home for Christmas? Have you ever seen a Christmas branch, like this one? What do you think about it/them?

Suositko itse perinteistä joulukuusta vai pidätkö vaihtoehtoisista tavoista koristella joulukotia? Oletko törmännyt jouluoksiin? Mitä mieltä olet niistä?

What's your opinion?

  1. Loved the Christmas tree with some ornaments that you made yourself! I like Christmas branches more than trees, to tell you the truth, so I have both. The branch is not in my living room, but I really wanted to have it, to enter a room and feel it's Christmas all around :) But in the living room I have a very small tree this year :) Hope you have a nice weekend!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, I'm glad that you liked it as much as I did! It would have been nice to see your Christmas tree as well :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof