Ivana Helsinki: 5 reasons why Moomin Saana is this spring's best dress

Helsinki, 4 degrees



Don’t worry we shall have wonderful dreams, and when we wake up it’ll be spring.

Commercial collaboration: Ivana Helsinki / Kaupallinen yhteistyö: Ivana Helsinki

This week I experienced a true Alice in Wonderland moment when I felt that I went down the rabbit hole (in reality the staircase at local fashion store Ivana Helsinki), and got to realize a long-term dream of mine - I got to pick out my very first Moomin dress! My love for the Finnish Moomin characters has always been evident on the blog, but until this week, my wardrobe didn't include any Moomin related garments. You might think it's odd that in the Moomin creator Tove Jansson's birth city it hasn't always been possible to "dress in Moomin", but that is the case. It's actually been possible for adults only for little over two years now, ever since Ivana Helsinki introduced its first Moomin collection in late 2014, and the collection was launched in spring 2015. Moomin-themed children's clothing, on the other hand, has existed for many years already.

Tällä viikolla sain kokea todellisen Liisa Ihmemaassa -hetken kun menin portaat alas Ivana Helsingin lippulaivamyymälässä ja pitkäaikainen haaveni toteutui - sain valita ensimmäisen Muumi-mekkoni! Muumi-rakkauteni on blogin puolella tullut varsin selväksi, mutta ennen tätä viikkoa, niin vaatekaapistani ei löytynyt vielä yhtäkään Muumi-vaatekappaletta. Kuulostaa ehkä oudolta, mutta aikuisten vaatteissa Muumeja ei ole paljon nähty ennen vuotta 2014, jolloin Ivana Helsinki esitteli ensimmäisen Muumi-mallistonsa. Muumi-lastenvaatteita sen sijaan on löytynyt jo ties kuinka kauan.

The first collection paid homage to the rich design language of the late artist and author Tove Jansson in the spirit of Ivana Helsinki.

Ivana Helsingin ensimmäinen Muumi-mallisto oli kunnianosoitus Tove Janssonin perintöä kohtaan samalla kun se oli uskollinen Ivana Helsingin omaleimaiselle tyylille.

Ivana Helsinki's second Moomin collection named Moomin by Ivana Helsinki II was just recently launched and continues to reflect the soul landscapes of both Jansson and Ivana Helsinki's head designer Paola Suhonen. When designing the collection, Suhonen was tremendously inspired by Jansson's strong visual language, imagination, and personality. Both of the collections revolve around the core ideas of Jansson's way of thinking, working and living. Themes such as nature, sea and strong emotions have been a huge source of inspiration also for Suhonen while creating these collections.

Toinen mallisto nimeltään Moomin by Ivana Helsinki II lanseerattiin juuri, ja se on luonnollinen jatkumo ensimmäiselle mallistolle. Edelleen sekä Tove Janssonin että Ivana Helsingin suunnittelijan Paola Suhosen kädenjälki näkyy vaatteissa. Muun muassa luonto, meri ja vahvat tunteet ovat inspiroineet Paolaa malliston suunnittelussa. Myös Toven tapa ajatella, työskennellä ja elää näkyy malliston vaatteissa.

I ventilated my new Moomin by Ivana Helsinki dress named Saana (a name that has got its origins from Lapish romanticism - the Finnish fell named Saana, a popular observation point) above the skies of my beloved Helsinki, to reflect on the upcoming spring. The rooftop of our apartment building is a dreamy place where I go to observe, daydream, wonder and make plans. Over the rooftops, my thoughts feel like they can run free. Here are five reasons why I think every woman should invest and buy her own Moomin by Ivana Helsinki dress this spring.

Itse tuuletin uutta Saana -nimistä Muumi-mekkoani kerrostaloni katolla. Tämä paikka Helsingin kattojen yllä saa ajatukseni aina lentämään. Tulenkin usein tänne kun kaipaan inpiraatiota, tai haluan omaa aikaa ajattelemiseen, unelmoimiseen ja/tai suunnittelemiseen. Tässä minun henkilökohtaiset viisi syytä miksi mielestäni jokaisen naisen tulisi hankkia oma Muumi-mekko tänä keväänä.

Design District Helsinki: Ivana Helsinki

When I think of Finnish high fashion, I immediately think of the two brands that have made it to New York Fashion Weeks: Ivana Helsinki & Marimekko. Ivana Helsinki's flagship store is located in the heart of Design District Helsinki, a design lover's heaven. I'll make another blog post about the new Moomin section of the store because you need to see it! I've mentioned my love for Ivana Helsinki's creations before on the blog, if you've missed it, you can read about it here, and my new dress is actually the sixth Ivana Helsinki dress hanging in my wardrobe.

Kun itse ajattelen kotimaista huippumuotia, mieleeni tulee heti ne kaksi vaatemerkkiä, jotka ovat olleet mukana New Yorkin muotiviikoilla: Ivana Helsinki & Marimekko. Ivana Helsingin lippulaivaliike sijaitsee Design District Helsingin sydämessä, joka on jokaisen designista kiinnostuneen taivas. Ajattelin kirjoittaa vielä toisen blogikirjoituksen itse liikkeestä, niin ihana se on! Olen aikaisemminkin maininnut ihanaa Ivana Helsinkiä blogissani, jos olet missanut aikaisemmat kirjoitukseni, niin löydät ne täältä. Tämä mekko on vaatekaappini kuudes Ivana Helsinki-mekko. Se ehkä kertoo jotain ihastuksestani.

Moomin / Muumit

I've written so much about the Moomins on the blog that I feel it's quite clear why I think everyone should own at least one Moomin garment. If you need to be convinced, read my earlier blog posts about the Moomins here.

Olen kirjoittanut blogissani niin paljon muumeista, että koen sen olevan selvä miksi mielestäni jokaisella tulisi olla ainakin yksi muumi-aiheinen vaatekappale. Jos kaipaat vakuutteluja, niin löydät aikaisemmat muumi-aiheiset blogikirjoitukseni täältä.

If you like the Moomins at all, I highly recommend that you take a look at the new Moomin by Ivana Helsinki collection. The garments aren't all covered with big Moomin characters, actually my dress hasn't got any Moomintrolls on it - but still, even my fiancé who's not that into Moomins recognized it as a Moomin-themed dress and thought it was beautiful. Ivana Helsinki has creatively introduced the Moomin family into beautiful spring & summer wear: collage shirts, leggings, pants, skirts, dresses, accessories and sweaters/knits.

Jos yhtään pidät muumeista, niin suosittelen lämpimästi uuteen Muumi-mallistoon tutustumista. Kaikki vaatteet eivät ole täynnä isoja muumihahmoja. Oma mekkoni on siitä hyvä esimerkki: siinä ei esiinny yhtään muumihahmoa, mutta kuitenkin sulhaseni, joka ei ole yhtä suuri muumi-fani kuin minä, tunnisti heti mekon muumi-teemaiseksi. Ivana Helsinki on luovasti yhdistänyt muumiperheen kauniisiin kevät- ja kesävaatteisiin: collage-paitoihin, leggingseihin, housihin, hameisiin, mekkoihin, asusteisiin ja neuleisiin.

Flower Meadow print / Kukkaniittykuosi

As I mentioned before, I chose the Saana dress as my first Moomin dress because I found its multicolor flower meadow print to be very whimsical and happy - just like spring/summer. Clothes affect how we feel, and this dress makes me smile. The print is delicate and reminds me of Tove Jansson's artwork.

Kuten aikaisemmin mainitsin, niin valitsin Saana-mekon ensimmäiseksi muumi-mekokseni koska mielestäni mekon monivärinen kukkaniittykuosi on niin unenomainen ja iloinen - juuri kuten kevät/kesä on. Vaatteillakin on vaikutusta mielialaan, ja tämä mekko saa minut iloiseksi. Kuosi on herkkä, ja muistuttaa minua Toven kuvituksesta ja taiteesta.


Details / Yksityiskohdat

My first impression of the dress was that it was cute, mainly thanks to its overlapping collar and pearl buttons. It also has a flattering A-line fit - something that looks like it came straight out of a Moomin book. It's also versatile: by adding a leather belt, crossbody bag and/or pants, the dress looks different.

Ensivaikutelmani Saana-mekosta oli, että se oli söpö. Luulen, että se johtui mekon kauluksesta ja helminapituksesta. Mekko on A-muotoinen ja näyttää mielestäni siltä, että se olisi voinut hypätä ulos suoraan muumikirjasta! Se on myös monikäyttöinen: mekkoa voi käyttää vyön ja/tai housujen/leggingsien kanssa. Näin mekon ilme muuttuu!

Perfect fit / Täydellinen istuvuus

The Saana dress is 100% cotton, which means that is very light & comfortable. I can easily see me using this dress almost every day this spring/summer - a true sign of a perfect dress!

Saana-mekko on 100% puuvillaa, joka takaa mekon keveyden ja mukavuuden. Voin hyvin kuvitella käyttäväni mekkoa melkein joka kevät/kesäpäivä - se jos jotain on täydellisen mekon merkki!


How do you feel about wearing Moomin-themed clothes? What is your favorite piece from the Moomin by Ivana Helsinki collection?

Mitä mieltä olet itse Ivana Helsingin muumimallistosta? Mikä on suosikkisi malliston vaatteista?

 

What's your opinion?

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adam, I appreciate it!

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. I like the romantic pearl buttons, the collar and the floral pattern of your dress but the length seems to be really mini, hehe, too mini for my height for sure. as a tunic it would be lovely of course. but I checked their whole collection and oh my god! I want those Moomin skirts they have on sale - the sea skirt is so cool! and their Mymmeli purses with chains too! those are the moments when I'm so sad I don't have a credit card! otherwise I would totally get the skirt and the bag :)

    Maiken - Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concerning the length, I actually wore the dress without jeans underneath when I first tried it on (see the Instagram account @ivanahelsinkishop), and I will for sure wear it like that in summertime. Now when I took the photos, it was too windy on the rooftop of our apartment building to do so, that is why I wore white jeans underneath. Yes, the collection is full of goodies! <3

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof